Fair Trade Certified™ Cordilleria chocolate is a blend of Criollo and Trinitario cacao beans grown and processed in Colombia, whose farmers receive a better price for their beans — and where more of that money stays in the community.
By Pastry Chef Ian Farrell, Oracle – Redwood Shores
For the macaroon filling:
- 8 ounces dark Chocolate
- 9 ounces cream
- 1 ounce soft butter (at room temperature)Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
- Bring cream to a boil in a small pot. Pour over chocolate and stir to combine.
- Mix in soft butter until smooth. Allow to set slightly for 1 hour before using.
For the macaroon shells:
- 5 ounces water
- 18 ounces granulated sugar
- 12 egg whites (14 ounces), divided
- 18 ounces almond flour with no skin
- 18 ounces powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 325 (or if convection oven, 300F). Sift almond flour, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar together through a sieve into a bowl. Pour 7 ounces of egg whites on top and mix to combine with a spatula to a thick paste. Set aside.
- Place remaining 7 ounces of egg whites in a 5-quart mixing machine with a whisk attachment.
- Put granulated sugar and water in a pot and mix a little until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. As soon as it comes to a boil, start whipping egg whites on medium to high speed. Continue to boil sugar for 4 minutes.
- Take sugar off heat. Turn down mixer speed to low. Pour sugar slowly into egg whites, trying to avoid pouring it on the whisk attachment. When sugar is completely added, turn speed up to medium. Whisk for about 5 minutes until cooled slightly.
- Place half of egg white mixture on top of almond mixture and mix with a spatula until combined. Add remaining egg whites and mix until combined.
- To prepare baking pans, spray four sheet pans lightly with baking spray. Line with baking paper. Spray again lightly. Pour batter into disposable piping bag. Cut opening in the piping bag. Holding bag in a vertical position, pipe batter onto pans to a 1 inch flat disk shape. Continue until all of the batter is piped. Allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Bake macaroons for 10 -11 minutes. For a convection oven it may only take 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely and then carefully remove from paper.
- Fill piping bag with filling (recipe below). Pipe filling on flat side of macaroon shell, then sandwich with other side gently pressing so filling is flush with shell size. Decorate with a little drizzle of chocolate and cocoa nibs.