This simple dessert achieves the mature flavor of salted caramel with just a pinch of sea salt.Serves 4-6
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar*
- 1/4 cup half-and-half (whole milk may be used if you do not have half-and-half, but the sauce will not be as rich)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 apples of choice, sliced
- Less than 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat sugar, half-and-half, and butter over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking for 5-7 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Stir in vanilla and cook for another 30 seconds. Turn off heat.
- To serve, either drizzle caramel sauce over apple slices or place in a separate container next to apple slices for dipping. Before eating, sprinkle a few grains of sea salt over each serving.
*Brown sugar may be light or dark, depending on desired flavor of caramel sauce. For a stronger, richer sauce, use dark brown sugar.